Being involved in an auto accident can shake you up. Being injured in an auto accident can turn your life upside down. At these unexpected times, we understand that it may be difficult to stay calm and aware of the situation, but we also know that avoiding a few mistakes after an accident can be crucial to ensuring that injured victims and families protect their rights and recover the compensation they deserve.
At Mitchell & Danoff Law Firm, San Jose Car Accident Lawyer Tab Mitchell has represented numerous clients who've been harmed in auto accidents caused by others. Although every accident and client is different, there are a few mistakes everyone should be intent on avoiding.
Common mistakes to avoid after a traffic accident:
- Not Reporting the Accident to Police – reporting your auto accident to the police is important and ensures that a neutral third party collects information about the incident and parties involved.
- Forgetting to Exchange Information – if you're able to do so, always collect information from any party involved in your accident, as well as witnesses. Make sure to collect contact information and insurance information.
- Not Getting Medical Treatment – it's important to seek treatment from a doctor to ensure that you receive the care you need. In many situations, victims of car accidents may not immediately realize they are hurt, so it's best to take the time to get at least a checkup.
- Forgetting to Keep Evidence – collecting evidence for use during a potential claim is important. If you're able to after an accident, note or record anything that may be of importance, such as driver behavior or roadway conditions. Taking pictures or video can also be helpful.
- Trusting the Insurance Company – insurance companies are in business to make money, not pay premiums. Be warned that insurance companies want to protect their bottom line and that it's best to have an advocate by your side when dealing with any insurance representative.
- Waiting Too Long to File a Claim – there are time limits in place – known as a statute of limitations – that act as deadlines for anyone injured in car accidents to file civil lawsuits. You can contact a lawyer early on after your accident to handle everything on your behalf while you focus on recovering.
- Settling Too Quickly – insurance companies will often attempt to settle with injured victims to avoid lengthy proceedings and higher payouts. You should never accept a settlement offer without first speaking to an experienced attorney.
- Not Calling a Lawyer – not calling a lawyer after an accident is one of the biggest mistakes you can make after an accident. An experienced accident attorney can help you understand your legal rights, handle all work on your behalf, and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Mitchell & Danoff Law Firm is committed to helping injured victims and families put their lives back together, and we know that our work begins as soon as clients call us for help If you or someone you love has recently been injured in an auto accident anywhere in San Jose or the surrounding communities, our legal team is here to help.